Look at the OS Map Extract of Gloucester.
Get your own from the OS GETAMAP site.
Image produced from Ordnance Survey's Get-a-map service.
Image reproduced with permission of Ordnance Survey and
Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.
Some sample questions - you will get a variation on these ideas...
Q25) Briefly describe why the Romans chose this site for their town called Glevum (Hints: Water supply, food, fuel, building materials, defence)
Q26) Give the 4 FIGURE GRID REFERENCE for
- the CBD (how do we know where this is ? what buildings would you expect to see ?
- the Longford site
- junction 11A of the M5
- other places of your choice...
Q27) Why is the CBD not in the centre of Gloucester ?
Remember that we looked at the similarity with King's Lynn, which also has a CBD which is not literally "the town centre", and also remember where the dead centre of any town is: the cemetery...
Q28) Taking the cathedral as the city centre (and why might we choose this building ?), how far is it from:
- the docks to the city centre
- the Longford site to the city centre
- BY ROAD from the motorway to the city centre