Sunday, February 11, 2007

Half Term Reading

Some blogs list the books that the writer is currently reading down the right hand side...
I have 3 books on the pile next to my bed, on top of the Michael Palin DVD box (which I realised this morning includes a visit to Chongqing - our partner school's city during 'Full Circle' - I imagine the city has changed out of all recognition since then)
One book I've mentioned several times already, and am still enjoying it: "Pies and Prejudice". The other two are also excellent:

'Estates' outlines the segregation by house tenure which has been perpetuated for centuries, and has just got to the era of high rise. I used to live in Rotherham, and one of the signs of the approach to Sheffield on the old X7 bus route (not the 69 which used to go in via Attercliffe) was the Minas Morgul bulk of Park Hill flats. The third book, which I shall start soon is the latest book by Iain Sinclair who is a 'psychogeographer'. This doesn't mean that he gets a bit lary after a cider and blackcurrant at a GA meeting, but that he explores places according to a combination of history and feelings about a place that he is visiting.

Psychogeography is the hidden landscape of atmospheres, histories, actions and characters which charge environments.

It might be an interesting idea to do a Psychogeographical walk around King's Lynn. Wonder if it would work as a piece of coursework for the Pilot ?

This story caught my eye in The Times and made me chuckle...
"A student who built a 4 foot penis out of snow in a park in Cambridge was given an £80 fixed penalty by police...."

In fact a quick search on Google suggests that there may in fact be quite a lot of them about...
Remember kids, it's not big and it's not clever...

No comments: